Friday, November 5, 2010

On poor advertising, sugar free drinks.

WARNING!

This entry in no way has anything to do with me or my life. It is simply an opinion and nothing more. If you are reading this blog in the hopes of getting an update of some kind on my humble existence you WILL be disappointed. If you don't care about my views on advertising or sugar free drinks, feel free to spend your time on something more productive.

If, however, you are curious and feel passionately about advertising and sugar free drinks, feel free to read on.

You have been warned.

Here I go.

Have any of you seen those advertisements for digital downloadable movies that Blu-Ray and Fox and other dvd companies are doling out? I tried to find video for them but have been unsuccessful. It's probably just as well because they infuriate me.

Yes, of course, having a digital copy of your movies and TV shows can be great. Mostly because it means that if you DVD ever gets damaged, you still have a copy that show/movie somewhere. But that's not the point. Whether or not responsible people can find productive uses for these digital copies is not the argument. I'm here to talk about advertising. I was watching a movie the other day and FOX was advertising their downloadable digital copies of their movies. Everything was fine at first. This motherly woman was saying that she could download her kids favorite movies to her computer. And her daughter exclaims that she can then download them to her lap-top. Finally this 10 year old hold up an iPod and says he can even download movies to his iPod! How exciting! Then the boy says this means that he can watch his favorite movies whenever he wants-during long car rides, while outdoors, EVEN WHILE PLAYING WITH FRIENDS!!!

Okay, this is where I have a problem. First of all, I don't think a 10 year old needs an iPod touch just like I think kids that age don't need fancy cell phones. More importantly, I am against what these advertisements are suggesting that we do with these digital copies. Similar advertisements from other companies have shown people watching movies on their laptop while they are outside on a beautiful day, during meetings, WHILE THEIR FIRST CHILD IS BEING BORN! Okay, that last one was an exaggeration. But it reminds me of those Windows phone advertisements. I want to say to those actors "Really?" You're watching a movie while you are hanging out with friends? I mean, that iPod is not big enough to share with more than 1 other person, MAYBE. So you can't logically watch the movie with the people you are with. Why would you be hanging out with them if you were going to just watch a movie on your iPod? Why would you watch a movie on your computer outside when you could be going for a walk, or biking, or SOMETHING? If you're at the library, shouldn't you be studying? Then why are you WATCHING A MOVIE!!

In my opinion these advertisements are teaching us the following things:

1. Sloth
2. Anti-social behavior
3. Procrastination
4. Time-wasting
5. Dull-mindedness
6. Media-obsession

Every time I see one of these advertisements, I get angrier and angrier!!

And don't even get me started on the Blu-Ray fad. I DON'T want to have to go and re-vamp my movie collection YET AGAIN!

Okay, that was my big rant.

My next little thing is this:

I love sugar free drinks.

They are wonderful.

That is all.

So. There you have it. My opinion on Downloadable digital copies of movies and sugar free drinks.

I hope you have enjoyed yourselves. If not, don't forget that I DID warn you.

In closing, here is a slightly sad bit of writing I coughed out in November of my Senior year of High School. It was a very angsty time of my life, so don't judge me.

"Innocence"

A sleep surrounds in a drowsy blanket, an innocent child lies in the safe soft glow. Protected by it's promise of glad tidings and great joy to all people. A whisper of wishes soon to come true. As I turn in sleep, the child within me is left behind along with glowing lights on a tiny tree upon a desk. A memory of all the sweet and precious things that once were. Each fragile ornament a sugar coated thought of good things all around. But childlike innocence is lost so quickly in the hearts of growing youth. If only we could feel such joy and happiness always. But once, only once a year, can we truly way, "peace and love fill me and all is right with the world."

-Sarah Lambson-11/24/2004

No comments:

Blog Archive