Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day Number 4

So here I am, settled in. I'm going to make this entry generally brief since I posted not too long ago. I just don't know how much longer I will be able to do this. I know I keep saying that. Sorry. You all know by now that I probably wont be posting on a wkkely basis.

So I have worked two days here now. One full day. I left early to take mom to the airport on Monday. Both days were devoted to looking after little groups of kids. Actually they were big groups of little kids. Yesterday was third graders and today was kindergartners. I am probably spelling a lot of words wrong. Oh well.

They come to the Kettle Pond visitor center which is the visitor center representing all of the 6 refuges that there are owned by the U.S. Fisheries and Wildlife service. This is where all the offices are where I will probably begin most of my days. Anyway, we show them a few videos, then my supervisor Janice takes them on a trail to a vernal pool which is a glorified puddle that dries up at the end of the summer. Convenient for the amphibians that nest there because there are no fish to eat their eggs. Anyway thats just half of the group. The other half stays at the center and look at all of the displays doing a scavanger hunt. Yesterday and today it was my job to keep an eye on things. They have many chaperones so this isn't too hard.

Today I also had to set up a laptop and projector so that we can show some power points. It;s supposed to be rainy. We went to the beach today. It was beautiful. The breeze is so cooling. It's almost better than air conditioning.

I am starting to get the hang of some things. I still don't know a whole lot. I am not an expert on east coast ecology. But as I listen to Janice I will learn. And I may not have to ever give the presentation while I'm here. But it is frustrating to explain that I am a brand new intern from Missouri and don't know a whole lot about slimy things in the ocean.


Well, thats really it. I like Janice though she is just a little scatterbrained. I do seem to attract those kinds of supervisors. I am really hungry and tired so I am going to take care of my body.

Until next time...

No comments:

Blog Archive