Saturday, August 9, 2008

Working on the Weekend

It is 10:03 am on Saturday the 9th of August 2008 and I am working.

I'm at the visitor center taking the 10:00-1:00 shift for Amanda who needed the weekend off. I know I posted yesterday, but it had been so long that I am going to give you another one. Just what you wanted, eh?

There are a few things that I wanted to put in a post that I felt would make my last one too long. And I already have a request from Elise to go a little more in depth concerning the X-files movie. I will begin with that.

Many people want to know whether this movie is good to all viewers or if it is meant only for X-files fans. I would say a little bit of both, though it is hard to be objective being as big a fan as I am. There are a lot of things that only devoted X-files fans would appreciate. Little things and big things. The relationship between Mulder and Scully would be hard to appreciate unless you had been through it all with them every step of the way. Actually I am going to revise my first statement. I think that someone who know little about the X-files would not enjoy this film. Especially since they would be expecting a film involving aliens like the show. It is not as much of a "blockbuster" as the first film by any means. I think that Chris Carter's purpose was to make a film that his fans would love, appreciate and understand. It goes so much deeper that a simple search for the truth. It's about Mulder and Scullys inner search for an understanding of what they believe and how far they are willing to go to support that belief. It was a fantastic film with a great soundtrack and a beautiful story that finally gives the X-files fans the closure we have all been waiting for.

There you go Elise. I think you would love the movie and I hope my little review was helpful.

If you read my last entry, you know that my cell phone is out of commission. I can't say that I am amazed on the impact this has had on my life. But I am saddened by it. Worse is the fact that I just looked up phones on AT&T and realized that I can't just buy a new phone. Even the most simple ones are over $100 retail price! So how has it been the last 4 days without a phone? It's been horrible. It gets better each day, but I always feel this hole inside. I feel completely cut off from the world. It's amazing how we all depend on the illusion of connectedness that technology creates. Don't think that I use the word "illusion" in a bad way. I believe that it is immensely beneficial to have direct connectivity to others in the world. I love the time that I get to spend talking to my family. But I think that I have depended too much on my phone. I use it to listen to music, the radio, as a clock, a pedometer, my bejeweled fix, a camera, calculator, etc. And without those things, my life is frustrated. Especially the clock. I hate that I cannot get into contact with anyone easily. I can't receive calls. If there was an emergency it would be hard to reach me. I can't call if I have a random question for someone. I can't the other interns to see where they are and if they want to hang out. I wouldn't be able to call anyone if I had an accident or if I got stuck in my truck somewhere. More than anything contact wise, I hate not being able to contact family. While sitting in my trailer, bored I can usually cal someone and have a good long chat. Now I just sit there aimlessly. I can't tell anyone about all the fun I had doing different things. I have limited access to internet so I can't constantly blog and I think you all would get tired of reading it if I posted every day.

My phone will turn on, it will make normal sounds sometimes. The biggest problem is the screen which just looks like fuzzy distorted colors. I keep hoping each time I turn it on to try it out that it will be up and running like normal again. I wouldn't be so worried if a new phone weren't so expensive. I could just wait a few more weeks, make some money at Bobs and then get a new one. Now, unless some miracle occurs and my phone fixes itself, I my be phoneless until I save up the money which could be months since I will now be living in an apartment and have less money. Plus, for the first time in a long time I am in debt. Not horribly. All of it is to Mom and Dad. But still, it's not a fun thing. And I wanted to save up for a nice new camera. Oh well. I will get through this. I will survive the death of my iPod and cell phone. I probably should be less materialistic anyway.

A little bit about days I didn't talk about in my last entry. For the next week my afternoons will be spent helping Corey check minnow traps on Trustom Pond. They are little funnel cage traps that the fish can swim into but are too dumb to get out of. There are 6 sites with three traps each scattered around the large pond. They are relatively easy to get to. There is one really close to the shore in some shallows that are really easy to get stuck in. But once your past that it's a piece of cake. I get to spend the afternolons in a canoe. How exciting is that? Actually, Wednesday was not that fun. It was cloudy, drizzly and windy the whole time. It made it nearly impossible to stear, which I was doing. It took us forever. Plus it had been a while since I had exerted my arms that much. The evenings sleep was punctured with pain. Every time I moved my forearms it felt like they were being held over a flame, or getting steam burn. Or maybe more like an indian burn. Anyway, it's been great since then. My arms don't hurt anymore after the session.

Thats really just about it. I hope everyone is doing well. I don't know because I can't call anyone. I am getting excited to get home. I even called Bob Evans from a work phone and worked out my schedual. I am mostly pleased with it. But I have to work Mondays...blah! I have a class that goes till 5:10 on Thursdays and I cant miss it ever because the only way they grade is by attendance and thats why I failed it a few semesters ago. They said I missed too many classes. I think it's a lie, but it's my word against theirs. So I have to take this class again. I can't make it to the 5:00 shift so I cant work Thursdays. And I can't do 3 nights off a week. Now that I am paying for rent I need to make as much as I can. But I can make it through a semester without FHE. Though it will be sad. Also I have worked it out that I can get a half an hour or and hour walk in every day but Monday. And I think that I will take Trissie to the dog park once or twice a week and take her on my walks to make up for the fact that I dont get to see her all the time. Man I miss her.

Anyway, feel free to drop me a comment or an e-mail. I really miss getting to talk to you all and e-mail will help me get through this cell phone dry spell.

See most of you in two weeks!!


Tamara said...

Losing your plaything, aka cell phone, has got to be a real bummer. I've had friends that have had this same problem. Some simple fixes (other than buying one directly from ATT) have been to purchase a GO phone or buy one from e-bay or online somewhere. Have you looked into that option? All you have to make sure of is that is compatible w/ ATT, that's it! You take your little card out of the back of your old phone, plug it into the new one, and BAM BAM BAM...there you have it! Sometimes you can get one for around $50 (still less than $100). See you in a few weeks...hope you make it back safely!

emily said...

oh, girl! I KNOW how it feels to be phoneless. And it is worrisome that we get so attached to these silly devices, but yet they really ARE a lifeline. I hope it all works out sooner than later, and better than you dreamed.

But for what it's worth, we would NOT get bored reading a blog from you every day. Silly girl. I love your posts!!

And I like the image of being in a canoe in the rain. SOrry it hurt later!

You are so close to being back home ! I can't wait to see you!

Love ya!

Blog Archive