Sunday, February 17, 2019

Unpopular Opinion: I love winter

It's the middle of February and while I love random sunny, days in the 40s and 50s, I do so love winter.  

The snow, the clear stars, my breath on the air.  I love how much my dogs love to romp in the white powder.  The way the sun sparkles on the piles of flakes.  

I do miss the look of frost on a grassy field.  That was much more easily found in Missouri.  As were cardinals.  I miss cardinals.  

But I am rather enjoying the winter here.  Yes it can get sloppy at times, but overall I am rather pleased with how tolerable the cold is in Utah.  (Not that I'm trying to brag).  



This past week has encouraged me.  Instead of being worried and afraid that I can't handle the increased workload and responsibility of my new position, I am now confident that 'tis nothing I can't handle.  I look forward to the new challenges and experiences that it brings.

I am where I want to be.  I am with my people doing what I love.  Right now, I wouldn't trade that for anything.  


(Me as a superhero.  Made at an art integration conference that I was able to attend)


This is my addition to a "mural" as part of the same art integration conference.  


This would be my "signature" if I were a graffiti artist


As part of my new position I have opportunities to attend training and conferences that take me cool places.  I was able to go to the Hogel Zoo.  The weather was terrible so I didn't get to see much but here are a few pictures and videos.  







My phone isn't the best camera but I sometimes try to capture the beauty that I find while I'm here.  I hope someday to afford a camera that will make this easier.  Below is a picture I took while hiking with my dogs in the evening on the Bonneville Shoreline trail which is a short 5 minute drive away from my house.  You can see the temple in the distance.  It's right in the middle of town and every time I see it I do truly think in my mind  "I love to see the temple". 


Finally, Kirsti came to visit!!  We had a blast at the nature center (I didn't snag any pictures) but we also went to a place that I shall never be allowed in again unless I have a child with me.  So I was truly happy to capture a glimpse of the magical place called The Treehouse Museum.  I think it kind of a cross between The Magic House and The City Museum in St. Louis.  It was so fun!  

There were so many multicultural displays!  There were also lots of little exhibits that were related to Ogden, Utah, the United States, etc.  It was really so fun.  I think I loved it more than Alice!



Every exhibit had little costumes of some kind!  Alice loved the cowboy hats.  


Look at this kid, she's a natural cowgirl!


Little mural at the rodeo exhibit.  How many random famous characters can you spot?


This was an adorable little diner!  Kids could put on little aprons and pretend to serve food to people sitting at the bar and at little tables.  It was adorable and totally something I would have loved playing with as a kid.  Maybe if enough kids play with this, they will appreciate food service and tip better!




Alice spent a lot of time in this wonderfully charming woodland exhibit and I was happy to oblige.  It was lovely and so well painted.  I swooned. 




There was a little oval office where you could pretend to be President!  


There was a great room/exhibit that talked about all the first ladies and these displays with all the first ladies (through Nixon) in Porcelain doll form.  


There was a room with a few small exhibits on fables from other countries.  This one was from Russia.  I can't remember the name of the fable but I can only guess it included Baba Yaga.  


No awesome interactive children's place is complete without a giant chess board!


And finally this seemed too perfect not to include.  Alice was, indeed, in a wonderland.  We all were.  And I hope she is able to visit again and again to enjoy this place.

I'm finding myself more and more at home.  While I do love winter, I look forward to all spring will bring.  More hikes with the dogs, kayaking on lakes, camping, General Conference, and seeing the nature center in bloom with wildflowers.  

Until next time, dear fam.  Love to you all!

3 comments:

Julina said...

can't read the second part of the quote? Angle is all weird and stuff...

do you remember what it said?

Sarah Lambson said...

Sorry. "If you want him to be even more intelligent, read him more fairy tales."

Jeanne, the mom and grandmom said...

This was so fun to read.

Blog Archive