Tuesday, November 13, 2012

On a November Nights Dream

Did I ever tell you that as a kid I used to pray for weird dreams?

Yeah. 

I liked the crazy stories my mind would come up with during my night time reveries.  And so I would ask God to bless me with strange and crazy dreams.

I was an odd one, for sure.

I don't ask for that anymore.  And while a crazy one pops in here and there my dreams have taken on a more realistic nature as of late.  

Meaning that often, while I am dreaming, I have no idea that the things that are happening aren't real.  

Because they are so believable.

Over the past couple of years I've had some particularly troubling dreams.  Ones where I have done something things.  Bad things.  And the guilt associated with the dream is so intense that I am almost crying with relief when I wake up and realize that it was, in fact, just a dream.  

I can't say that I am fond of these dreams.  Though I do see them as warnings.  

But the dream I had last night was different.

It was a dream the likes of which I have never had before.

In it, I was going to die.

And I knew it.

I had 24 hours at the most.

There was no disease, no injury, no ailment of any kind.  Just a certainty that I was, in fact, going to die.

I know that through the course of my dream I came to some rather poignant conclusions but I can't for the life of me remember what they were.

What I DO remember was the crushing guilt and disappointment.

Not terror.

And not a fear of what came after or what would happen to me.

But a deep and terrible wish that I had: 

1. Done more with my life

2. Tried harder to be the person I know that I can be

I could not stop thinking about how I was going to miss out on so much of my life.  I wondered what was so important in the next life that God couldn't afford to keep me in this one.

And most of all, I knew deep down that I had let too much slide. I had failed to be the strong, devoted daughter of God that I knew I had to potential to be.

Was this dream also a warning?

I know I'm not going to die in the next 24 hours (boy did I just jinx myself...).

But I know that I can always be doing better.  And yet I let so much fall by the wayside.

What more should I be doing?  What can I do so that if I were going to die in 24 hours I would not feel those things I felt in my dream?

I'd take strange, crazy dreams over these frighteningly realistic ones any day.

But maybe I need these wake-up calls.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I used to pray for dreams the same way. Actually, I still do from time to time. I have some incredible experiences, though rather more bizarre and 'what in the world am I supposed to make of that' than anything. Dreams, no matter what they actually are about, almost always leave me thinking throughout the day...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ellaniemae said...

Were you purposely trying to be "punny" when you said that your dreams were a wake up call? haha.

Anonymous said...

http://hermessale.finniwolf.com you don't have an rear. One within their rate provides vanished through a closed room or living area, compelling a vacation up from Daniels great affiliate chuck (target Ruffalo). I can advise you from enjoy that nothing is uglier in comparison pet grooming a fresh horse alongside licks which were hermes purse officially used on a gray, As you get passing on grey fur all over the bay horse(s),
http://hermeshandbag.finniwolf.com

Blog Archive